According to Two Men and a Truck ® – Canada, June 30th is the busiest moving day of the entire year! On average, 4.4 million Canadians move to a new home annually, which equals approximately 1.46 million families in search of moving companies, packing supplies, and extra hands.
Mid-June to early-September is the busiest time of year when it comes to moving, and 14% of the people moving are doing so in June specifically. One-third of that 14% are moving on June 30th. According to Chuck Resnick, Vice-President of Marketing and Operations, Two Men and A Truck ® – Canada, there are a few reasons for this phenomenon.
“By June 30th, the school year has ended, so it’s natural for parents with children to move as soon as they can without disrupting the current school year,” he explains. “It also enables parents to get everyone settled before the new school term begins, and they have the entire summer ahead of them to enjoy the warm weather in their new homes.”
“The Canada Day weekend also offers an extra day off, which is handy for unpacking and settling in; traditionally the weather is very accommodating,” he adds. “Moving day should be a day of celebrating your new accommodations, so here are some tips for consumers to eliminate stress.”
Resnick has provided a few great tips for people planning to move soon. These moving tips will help you get ready for the big day:
- Use sturdy containers/boxes that won’t shift when lifted
- Avoid overpacking. The heavier the item, the smaller the container. This will help keep weights down
- Avoid using newsprint for padding because it smudges on your possessions. Use white paper, craft paper, or bubble wrap instead
- Use special wardrobe boxes to pack up your closets, and use luggage for other clothing
- Have special containers for things you will need right away, like toothpaste, fresh towels, tea kettle, coffee pot, etc.
- Label the containers on the top and all sides
If all of this sounds like way too much work, you can always hire Two Men and a Truck. They’ve been around since 1985 and have 384 locations around the world, with 28 in Canada, the US, and UK. They are the fastest growing franchise in North America.
They’ve completed 6 million moves in the last three decades. They provide customized home and business relocation and packing services, operating under the “grandma rule,” which means all the movers treat their customers as if they were their very own grandma. Polite, courteous, and helpful.